Clarence Smit Museum
In July 2011, the Clarence Smit Museum was moved from Stouffer Park to the new location in the old Library building at 430 W. Main Street. Open on Wednesdays & Saturdays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. or by appointment.
Please call Connie at (209) 985-3186 with questions or appointment requests.
Clarence Smit was the City Administrator from 1972 to 1988. He was a charter member of the Ripon Historical Society, and his work enabled the construction of the first museum building. The museum was completed after his death, and it was named in honor of his memory.
Historic Ripon Jail House
The jail was constructed in 1925 and used by Ripon’s constable John Garrison and the county sheriff. Ripon contractor L. Ubels built the jail. The jail was originally erected on a lot at North Walnut Street, at the intersection of the railroad right of way. On December 3, 1957 it was raised off its foundation and relocated to its current location at First and Locust Street. The jail consists of two cells and a small office.
The jail is open on the first Saturday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to noon.
Veteran’s Memorial Museum Memorial and Honor Wall
Mr. Mangelos also led the way for the old city hall, located at 311 First Street, to be saved from destruction, and refurbished for the Veteran’s Memorial Museum and Memorial and Honor Wall. This project was built by volunteers with donations from the community, local businesses, and developers. The Veteran’s Museum is open every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Ripon Memorial Library
The new Ripon Memorial Library opened on November 18, 2006 with great fanfare. Ripon is now and has been, for over 100 years, a community that champions and embraces the importance and need for a public library to serve the citizen’s educational and informational needs. Offering computer workstations for general and Internet use, a reference collection, and a circulating collection of library materials. Local newspapers are available for browsing. A wide array of magazines can be borrowed. A microfilm reader/printer is available for viewing the Ripon Record (1912-present) on microfilm.